Saturday, October 31, 2009

kicky curtains III

My third and final post about funky drapes - tradition with a twist. These shantung curtains were much cheaper than they appear. I got the primary green fabric at Hancock on sale, and the lining is an inexpensive cotton. It is another example of mixing fabrics, textures, color, and pushing scale. What really amps up the luxury of these drapes is the way that they are hung.

I originally made these drapes for a dining room filled with windows. The wall paint almost matched the green fabric exactly, so I chose the mustard lining as a bold accent color. The shantung is woven from green and yellow fibers, so the mustard is a great compliment. I especially love the way the curtains look when sunshine makes the mustard color glow through the green.

From the front these drapes look like your grandma's drapes complete with traverse rod and hooks, but the application is much easier. I got the idea from a set of drapes we purchased from Pottery Barn. On the back of the drapes, a couple of inches from the top, I have applied wide tabs a few inches apart. This creates more dramatic pleats than you get from a rod pocket. I stabilized the top with some heavy canvas, both inside the curtain and inside the tabs. Enjoy!

















































No comments:

Post a Comment