Saturday, October 10, 2009

creamy chocolate soy ice cream

I have tried many recipes for non-dairy ice cream like tofu, coconut milk, gelatin. In an effort to create yummy, rich, creamy ice cream I have tried everything from lots of eggs to vegetable oil. I finally found the key (minus the cholesterol) in one of my many vintage cookbooks. In the 1950’s cookbook “Culinary Arts Institute Encyclopedic Cookbook” under the section titled “Refrigerator Desserts” there is a recipe for “Custard for Ice Cream.” I have adapted the recipe substituting soy milk for cow’s milk, and I have added chocolate.

Enjoy!

1 Cup chocolate chips
melt in a double boiler and cool

2 Cups vanilla soy milk, scalded
1 Cup sugar,
Dash salt
2 ½ Tablespoons flour

Mix sugar, salt, and flour; add to soy milk.

Cook mixture in double boiler until thick , stir often
(I had better luck cooking this in our heavy sauce pan than with the double boiler. If you get lumps strain the mixture before chilling.)

Chill in refrigerator until needed. The mixture may separate in the fridge, simply remix.

Once the milk mixture is chilled, fold in
½ Cup soy milk
1 ½ Teaspoon vanilla

Freeze in ice cream maker according to directions.

Makes 1 pint

No comments:

Post a Comment